So, he’s finished for now. Had a terrible time trying to get photos this evening and sort of gave up when I managed to get anything remotely useable. Sometimes these things just don’t work out.
The base is cork and grit built up in a flat-topped mound. I then used one of the excellent Greenstuff World rollers to get the stone floor pattern. This was fiddled a bit with to make the edges a little more logical and add some sharper cracks etc. Whole lot painted to match the figure, pinned and glued.
So, for now, some sketchy pictures. I’m hoping to takeadvantage of a friend to help out with some better pictures of the whoe group (henchmen a well) in future.
I love this figure and wanted it for ages. I think it’s from the old Masquerade Miniatures range and has now found a happy home at Otherword Miniatures. Looks like a Stefan Nieheus sculpt. He’s actually been a little trickier to paint than I expected – the sculpting is really energetic and exuberant, but a little loose in places (particularly the back of the cloak). This has led to there being more texture and even a bit of lumpiness here and there which needs to be minimised wherever possible. What I couldn’t clear away with knife and file I’ve obscured with paint. He’s a few hours from finished here.
I’ve posted this WIP partly because it marks a bit of a change in the way I’m looking at painting and particularly fantasy subjects. I’ve been following Ben Komets on Patreon (highly recommended by the way) recently, watched Painting Buddha videos etc. for quite a while, obviously read Massive Voodoo avidly for years and following the work of folk like Banshee. These guys are unfeasably good and represent a very deep level of understanding, analysis and exploration in the field of miniature painting. I would highly recommend a visit to the above painters sites, along with regular trips to Putty & Paint etc. whenever you need some inspiration (or even just to see how far most of us have to go). I’m happily aware that my painting falls into the realm of ‘wargames figure’ level and a million miles from the art that the above names achieve. However (and with some formal art training behind me) some of the ideas raised by these folk can’t help rub off. I’m not ready to commit weeks to a single figure, but am intrigued at the prospect of incorporating more considered colour theory etc. into what I do.
So, to cut a long story short, I’ve begun to consider setting, lighting and atmosphere more (or at least tried). I realise this all sounds very pretentious but it’s my blog so please indulge me …
With this wizard I’ve tried to imply depth and scene by adding some ‘infernal’ warm up-lighting and attempted to offset this with a more silvery blue ‘moonlight’. The upshot is the use of reds and browns in the blue tones, and conversely blues and purples in the reds. There’s even some green and other unlikely colours scattered in there at times. I’ve also begun to use ‘day-glo’ fluorescent paints to add strength to some of my colours which has been interesting. This is still a gaming miniature, and also early days for me, so I’ve not pushed this theme anywhere near as far as it could be – I still wanted a blue and red wizard after all, but I think this looks more interesting and has more depth compared to the Copplestone wizard further down the page which was done a few months back. This necromancer is also going to get a silly over-designed base along with two skeleton minions.
Anyway, a huge amount of text for a single picture … sorry about that. I’ll try to make it the other way around next time 🙂